Thursday, February 11, 2010

Imprinting

My church and small group have been talking about ways that we’ve been “imprinted” by society—meaning that society has taught us to believe something or behave a certain way that isn’t necessarily true. And it’s so deeply entrenched in our beings that we don’t even think to question it. If you want to listen to the sermon talking about it, go here.

Imprinting isn’t a bad thing. But it can be. So I’ve been thinking about it a lot and really trying to figure about where my beliefs about the world come from. A lot of them come from what society says instead of what the Truth says. Sometimes it’s hard to tell which is which and whether it’s true or not. But for now I’ve just been trying to become aware of how I’ve been imprinted.

Ways I’ve been imprinted/Ideas I have been taught are true:

I need cable TV and internet in my home.
I need a decent car.
I need to purchase new clothes regularly.
I need to spend money on entertainment to be happy.
I need to make sure that my basic desires are covered before I give to other people.
I need to make it look like I’ve got it all together.
I need to look like I don’t struggle to be a Christian.
I need to be saving for retirement before I give to other people.
I need to have a new cell phone every two years (that is comparable to others around me).
I need to have a concrete plan for my life.
When Jesus said to the rich man, “Sell all you have and give it to the poor,” he wasn’t talking about me.

You’ll notice a lot of them have to do with monetary things. Since I stopped working, our income has been less, and we’ve had to cut out certain things from our lifestyle. It’s caused me to question if I ever really needed or wanted them in the first place. I’m not saying any of these things are necessarily bad. But the idea that they are necessary is ridiculous and only a result of society’s effect on me. Americans (and me specifically) have a big problem distinguishing want from need. People throw around the word need, but rarely use it the way it was meant to be used.
“I need a bigger house.”
“I need new shoes.”
“I need to see that new movie.”
I hear it from almost everyone around me, and I say it myself. But none of it is true. Sure, I’d like new shoes. But do I need new shoes? I doubt it. I think we are subtly deceiving ourselves by the language we use.

And Jesus telling the rich man (and we’re all rich…if you’re reading this in America) that he should give up his wealth and follow Him is a huge issue for me right now. What does it mean? Should I do what he suggests? I’ve been hearing it for a lifetime—Christian Americans will find any and every reason to brush aside what Jesus said—“If you are giving 10%, then you’re okay.” “Jesus wants us to enjoy his blessings; we don’t need to give away our money.” “I worked hard for my money, and I deserve to enjoy the fruits of my labor.” Really?

I’m not trying to be judgmental here. I am really, truly struggling with this myself. But I think it’s made harder by the fact that the people around me seem to brush this aside, like it doesn’t apply to us. But the fact is that we are people “of great wealth.” No one has ever been wealthier since the beginning of time than Americans are today. So I just don’t see how this doesn’t apply to us.

I am incredibly uncomfortable with the idea that God might be asking me to give away my wealth. I am uncomfortable with the idea that God might be asking me to give up my monthly Starbucks drink, let alone the security of my bank account. I’m still thinking and praying and wondering and planning. We’ll see where these thoughts take me I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment