Saturday, January 8, 2011

This one's for you, my single friends.

A song came up on Chuck's playlist this morning that got me to thinking about my single friends. It's called "Suckers" by Reel Big Fish, and it's about "all the suckers who still believe in love." Ironically I associate it in my mind with the time that Chuck and I were falling in love--or when we were still friends and not yet "boyfriend/girlfriend". I remember one specific night when Chuck was driving me and a few of our friends around downtown Chattanooga. We blared the song and sang at the top of our lungs. I think we had all been coming off of high school relationships that hadn't ended so well. Little did I know that in a few weeks from then Chuck and I would be starting a romantic relationship that challenged nearly all of my cynical ideas about love. At the time, I was definitely understanding the heart behind this song.

At first you're excited
Then you're less than delighted
By the end you wish 
That they would drop dead
It can't last
It's gone so fast. 

I think the longer you go in life without finding "The One," the easier it is to settle. The easier it is to start thinking the person you always dreamed of doesn't exist or has already found someone else. The easier it is to lower your standards and accept someone who you think is "good enough."

Don't do it!!!!

I know not everyone is going to have as easy of a time as I did finding the right person. But don't settle! If I've learned anything, it's that being alone is infinitely better than being with the wrong person (NOTE: not talking about Chuck ;)). Not having a companion can be lonely, but having someone who is supposed to be a companion but isn't is so much more isolating.

Please believe me that the right one for you is out there. There is a reason you were made the way you are, and there's someone out there who is just right for it. Don't lower your standards for anything. If I had, I might have missed out on the greatest love of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment