Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year

I talk about Hanson a lot in this blog. 2010 was a rough year, but the awesome thing about it is that my pain drove me back to my love of music. Music is healing. And good music just gets better over time.

Obviously the first Hanson song I really liked was Mmmbop. Over the years I've heard so many people say that that song is fluffy, shallow, and akin to bubble gum. If you only listen to the chorus I guess that's what it sounds like. But that song actually really does have a deeper meaning, and it's strange to me that at 26 I can hear it and still be identifying bits of truth that it conveys.

You have so many relationships in this life
Only one or two will last
You go through all this pain and strife
Then you turn your back and they're gone so fast

So hold on to the ones who really care
In the end they'll be the only ones there
When you get old and start losing your hair
Can you tell me who will still care?

This past year was a rough one. People who I thought were permanent fixtures in my life turned out to not be after all. Obviously I don't know what the future holds, but from where I'm looking from right now, it seems like at least some of these changes this year will be permanent. It's very sad.

So I am holding on to the ones who really care. It does seem that only a handful of people are truly there for the long haul in life. So many people have come and gone in my life already, and I'm not even halfway through (I hope). I'm not trying to sound depressing or macabre because most of those people had really meaningful, positive effects on me. But they were just there for a season, and now they are gone.

It makes me stop and truly appreciate those few people who stick it out with me. Who love me despite my chronic weaknesses. Who find the good in me when it's hard to see. And who are willing to suffer with me through all that life brings. So here's a New Year's toast to you, friends. May our paths be forever crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment